Sunday, November 24, 2013

But What are Friends For?, 1976

From the time I was sixteen
and she was merely a tyke,
there were just a few people
that I liked.

Kilbourne Park brought together
many diverse souls,
and as far as my mentality went,
they plugged up all the holes.

But times have changed from
long ago and we've gone our separate ways,
and now we're coming back again,
after many lonely days.

A group of folks brought
me together out of despair,
and I've seen three of them,
three of those that cared.

Six years have passed since
those happy days of yore,
but the emptiness remains so I ask,
what is on the other side of that door?

Warmth of heart, and cold of mind
are two different degrees,
but what I want most
out of life is little, old me.

Diamonds are hard, and so
are floors, and many times you fall,
but gems are a sign of happiness,
and floors lead down long halls.

Riddles are spoken by those
who are never quite sure,
and if I looked at all my
life, I would say I'm not poor.

Just lonely and empty and like
an empty shell,
And sometimes I wish I could
scream because it's hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment