Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Spiritual Enrichment

 In a program for spiritual enrichment, prayer is an important part, of course, but there are other factors that are a part of my program.
 I suppose it is a holdover from the time when I was a part of the Hare Krishna movement, but my program is based on three ingredients other than prayer.  These three areas include:  meditation, music, and movies.
 The Meditation area can be achieved in three ways, either by church participation, walking in nature, or lying quietly.  The first two ways are self-explanatory, but the third does need a bit of description.  Lying quietly deals with a trance-like state, which is brought on by concentrating on an object, a thought, or some means of relaxation.  The mind is cleared of obstructions, and it gives way to the spirit.
 I try to surround myself with music all day long.  In a time of spiritual uplift, classical music is ideal.  At certain times, easy listening music is good, either instrumentals or vocals.  Rock music can be used, too, provided the lyrics are suitable.  Music should be able to give to the spirit a feeling that cannot be bettered by any other artificial means.
 Movies play a part in my enrichment program, too.  There are some pictures that are thought of as message films.  These films that may have a particular comment of social issues provide a feeling of growth.  On the other side, some movies provide a sense of escapism, which gives me a way of clearing my mind of problems.
 Using these three parts plus prayer, gives me a program of spiritual enrichment.  Borrowing a term from the drug users, I strive for mind expansion using meditation, music, and movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment