Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Car Blew Up

Okay, so in 2008, I moved to Greenville SC.  I loved it there.  I loved the mountains.  I loved the people.  I loved the art scene.  I loved it all.  Unfortunately, my living arrangement ended in early 2009, and I felt I needed to move back to Columbia.  It wasn't an easy decision, but it looked like the right one.  I wasn't working in Greenville, and I was living off of the money I got from Macy's.  I tried to get rehired there, but they wouldn't take me.  I made millions for them, when I worked there the first time, but I guess my reluctance to sell their credit card was why.  I just had a bit more conscience that some others.  So, I moved back to Columbia. 
 I was staying for about six months in weekly-rate motels while looking for work.  They weren't bad.  Except for one which advertised free Wi-Fi, but it was only on with the manager's daughter needed to do her homework in the afternoons.  My car was acting up, even when I was in Greenville.  But, I tried to keep going with it.  I took it to a mechanic who showed me that there was a crack in the engine block, and it was leaking oil.  He said it would cost about $3000 to fix.  So, I just added oil and kept rolling. 
 On Labor Day 2009, I had run out of money.  I could no longer stay in the motel, so I packed up my stuff (most of it was in storage, so the things I had in the motel were clothes and some essentials), and I put two quarts of oil into my car.  I drove out to Columbia Mall to put in some applications and then headed over to Dutch Square via I-20.  About halfway down the road, there was a bang under the hood and smoke started to billow out.  I got up an exit ramp with smoke pouring out.  My engine had blown up. 
 I called my brother, and a tow truck.  The truck towed my car to a AAA lot, and my brother came to get my stuff out of my car.  The car sat in the lot for a few days and then was junked.  It served me well for about 15 years, but now I had no money, no job, and no car.  My life would change dramatically after that. 
 Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Similar path I've been on, Walter. In 2004, it was going to cost me $600 to get my car to pass NC inspection, probably $1000 for everything that needed to be done. I got stopped for expired plates which I could not renew without the inspection I could not yet afford. I gave up driving at that point. The only work I was doing was delivering pizzas, so there went my job.

    Only now am I reinstating my license. Will post on FB when it's all official. It has been quite a life these past 9 years depending on public transportation.

    ReplyDelete