Monday, March 16, 2015

Writing on the Wall, 1991

I went into a restaurant
To get a bite to eat,
I looked around for a waiter,
And I heard the food couldn't be beat.


I went to the rest room
To wash my hands before the food,
And I looked up to see
The writing on the wall.


The words on the tiles
 didn't make much sense,
All it said was
 "Life makes a good defense."


I went outside and asked around
Did anybody know what it meant,
Nobody did, but one looked at me,
And said, Maybe it's where we're sent.


He was no help as I left there,
And I went out to the street,
There I stopped a lot of folks,
Everyone I'd meet.


I told them I'd seen
The writing on the wall,
They just stared back at me,
Then I heard that familiar call.


Police!  Police!  one woman yelled,
And I ran away toward a local church,
I walked inside looking for a priest,
There were none but a parrot on a perch.


I asked the parrot what did it mean
The writing on the all--
He looked at me as if to smile
And said "Go down the hall."


I went down the hall
Which led to a door,
I opened it wide and
Fell on the floor.


I got up to see
A man pointing up,
I looked at what it was,
It was the writing on the wall.


The writing on the wall makes you crazy,
The writing on the wall makes you scream,
The writing on the wall makes you sick,
But it's only a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment