Sunday, September 14, 2014

Page

 My life started in New Orleans, LA in 1953.  My father taught Religious Education at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.  I have a brother named John.  He is 7 1/2 years older than me.  My mother stayed at home to raise us, while my father was away preaching or teaching.
 When I was five, we moved to Columbia, SC, because my father became the Director of Sunday School work for the South Carolina Baptist Convention.  By the time I was five, I had already been to California and visited Disneyland.  My hero was Roy Rogers, and I had his autograph and a wristwatch.  A lot of kids were envious of all the places I had been.  I knew no better.
 My parents sent me to public school, which was probably a good thing.  I've always believed in the public educational system, because I think it makes a person more well-rounded.
 So, what about Page?  Well, she was my first girlfriend, although she didn't know it.  I think you'll be seeing a trend develop soon.  Page was the most popular girl in our first-grade class.  I was the smartest.  In fact, my teacher told my parents that I had the second-highest IQ ever to attend that school.  Being smart had its drawbacks, though.  I didn't get asked to go to parties.  Even as an elementary school kid, I was happier playing by myself or with my two neighbors--Bruce and Philip.  I didn't play much sports, because I was always picked last for things.  Maybe it was the glasses, or because I was small, or because my father was a minister.  I wanted to play sports, but there was a stigma about me.  "Don't pick Walter, because we will lose."  After you hear that for a while, you think you are a loser.
 Page grew up and moved away.  She went to England.  I don't know what happened to her after that, but my life was changing rapidly, and I was just in the seventh grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment