Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Rhine

 We left Berlin and flew back to Frankfurt.  We had a little wait for our tour bus, so the girls and I ate hamburgers in the airport restaurant.  A hamburger and Coke cost $15, or at least that was what we figured.  Exchange rates could be a bit confusing.  But, the hamburger was real beef and not like the ones we had in London.  When we were still back at Anderson College, Sandra, Talula and I were in a play called "Blithe Spirit", so we entertained the others in our group, plus some bystanders with a scene from that play.  Our moods had definitely changed.
 Our bus finally came, and we were off on our tour of the German countryside.  We went on the autobahn, which was a bit scary, and then headed down toward the Black Forest area of Germany.  We stopped in Koblenz, and walked around that city.  Sandra's father had been there during World War II, so it was an emotional place for her.  We got to Rudescheim and boarded a boat for a Rhine River cruise.  The boat ride was supposed to last two hours, but it was more like six.  I guess boats can't go so fast going against the current.  The trip was nice, as we saw a lot of beautiful scenery and castles, but the niceness wore off real fast, when we figured out it was going to be longer than two hours.  The girls chatted up the crew on the boat.  I tried to take a nap.  Boredom is not fun.
 We finally got to our destination, where our bus picked us up and took us to our hotel in Weisbaden.  There was a nice park across from our hotel, where I went to sit and think.  The girls went out and went to a club, I think.  I knew I was supposed to stay with them at all times, as per Mr. Vivian's instructions, but sometimes you just need to have your space.  That is what I did.  However, Mr. Vivian found out that the girls weren't with me, and he was not pleased.  He read me the riot act, and things changed again.  I was to be on them like glue.  Not a bad thing, but no more space.

No comments:

Post a Comment